Just found this excellent article from Sandro Villinger.
Have a read if your curious about Windows 8 feature list. Otherwise, here’s a sneak peak:
- Windows App Store
- Two UI Mode: Aero & “Immersive UI”, the latter being touch-friendly and targeting tablets
- Hybrid boot: a combination of Hibernate & Log off allowing you to boot under 30 seconds
- Automatic Maintenance: happening on PC idle time, it detects problems, fix them & defrag all hard drives.
- Disk Defragmenter & Spot Verifier: the new defrag handles Solid State Drive (SSD) while the spot verifier detects bad sectors
- Performance boost: apparently Windows 8 has better response time than Windows 7 with identical configuration (machine). Microsoft probably addressed contention point in the memory model to allow more parallelism & do more aggressive “perceived performance” optimization.
- Clicks reduction: the UI is optimized to reduced the amount of user interaction in order to accomplish different tasks
- Windows Explorer: Redesigned, comes with a ribbon and again reduces the amount of click required to accomplished typical tasks.
- ISO Mounting: Windows 8 comes with ISO mounting capability out-of-the-box, no more needs to download a 3rd party for that.
- Shadow copy management: allows you to go back in time to restore old versions of a folder.