Profile of MSN Health and Fitness on Azure DocumentDBSolution ·
We already know that Azure DocumentDB was used in the back-end of OneNote. Last week Microsoft released another nice case study: the user profiles for MSN portal.
The requirements for the solution were:
- Scale requirements to support +425M unique MSN users with +100M direct authenticated users. Initial capacity requirements for 20TB of document storage.
- Under 15ms write latency and single digit read latencies for 99% requests.
- Authorization scopes across the same underlying data.
- Schema free storage with rich query and transaction support.
- Data model extensions to support the diverse set of verticals schemas.
- Hadoop based analytics on top of the data.
- Available globally to serve all MSN markets and users.
Here we see the typical requirements leading to a NoSQL solution:
- Data volume
- Read / Write performance
- Schema free
On top of those typical requirements, Azure DocumentDB offers the atypical rich querying without pre-configuration.
Look at this case study. You might recognize some pattern in a solution you are working on. If that is so, you might want to look into Azure DocumentsDB.