I was looking for the limits of DocumentDB Standard Tier, the only tier available during the preview release. It wasn’t all too trivial to find so here it is:
Among the limits that may constrain your solution:
- Only 3 collections per Capacity Unit (but 100 Databases, the container of collections, per account)
- 25 stored procs (or UDFs or triggers) per collection
- Maximum request size for documents & attachments: 256 KB
- Maximum response size: 1Mb
- Maximum AND (and OR) per query: 5
As you can see, the current limits of DocumentDB are quite aggressive. The NoSQL database is highly performing and it seems that those performance comes at a cost.
We can expect those limits to be loosen in the near future though. This is typical for Preview release to have sandboxed solution. The same way we can expect the product to be available in more regions.