Azure Active Directory Labs Series - Creating a tenantSolution ·
Back in June I had the pleasure of delivering a training on Azure Active Directory to two customer crowds. I say pleasure because not only do I love to share knowledge but also, the preparation of the training forces me to go deep on some aspects of what I’m going to teach.
In that training there were 8 labs and I thought it would be great to share them to the more general public, here they are. This is the first of the series.
The labs follow each other and build on each other. For instance, in the current lab we create users that will be useful in future labs.
UPDATE (30-08-2016): All labs will be available from the Cloud Identity / Azure Active Directory page.
Create a new Azure Active Directory tenant and populates it with a few users and groups.
Creating an AAD tenant
- Go to the legacy portal @ https://manage.windowsazure.com
- Scroll down the left menu to the bottom and select Active Directory
- You should see the following screen
- At the bottom left, click the +NEW
- Select Directory
- Select Custom Create
- You should have the follow web pop up
- Under Name, type a display name for the directory
- Under Domain Name, enter a unique name
- The domain name doesn’t need to be the same as the display name, but of course it does help for management purposes when they are
- The domain name needs to be unique throughout all Azure Active Directories of all customers since it is used in a DNS resolution
- The domain name can only contain letters and numbers
- Under country or region, select your country (e.g. Canada)
- Do not select B2C feature
- Your newly created directory should appear in the list as follow (vpl-2 in the example)
- Select the tenant you just created & enter it
- In the top menu, select users
- You should already be a user of the tenant: your name should appear in the user list
- At the bottom of the screen, click Add User
- In the dialog box, leave “New user in your organization” & type “ballen” as the user name
- Click for the next screen then for the first name type “Barry”, last name “Allen”, full name “Barry Allen”, leave the role as user and do not select multi-factor
- You should get to this screen ; click create
- Copy the password somewhere: you’ll need it to log in in a later lab
- Repeat the same steps for 2 more users (keep the passwords too):
- ascott, Alan Scott
- hquinn, Harley Quinn
- In the top menu, select groups
- There should be no group in your tenant
- At the bottom of the screen, click Add Group
- In the dialog box, enter SuperHeroes for Name and leave the group type as Security ; you can leave Description blank
- Create another group named SuperVillains
Assign users to groups
- Select the SuperHeroes group & enter it
- Select Add Members
- For Alan Scott, select the plus sign
- Do the same for Barry Allen
- You should have both users in the Selected column
- Accept the selection by clicking the check box at the bottom right of the dialog box
- Click the back button to go back the group list
- Repeat the same sequence of steps, selecting the SuperVillains group and adding Harley Quinn as a member
You can enter inside your directory and explore each menu in the portal.